OK, then. Life has just gotten a little more interesting here at Chez Tittel. Briefly: I had trouble remoting into the X12 Hybrid yesterday. Ditto this morning, when I decided to troubleshoot the PC. Turns out the initial attempt at installing Build 25120 failed, with a familiar and possibly driver-related error code. And while the second upgrade attempt succeeded, that Dev Channel PC shows potential Thunderbolt issues. Let me explain…
Dev Channel PC Shows Potential Thunderbolt Issues: More Info
The lack of a network connection clued me into the seeming culprit. When I visited the X12 hands-on, I saw I was connected to the LAN via Wi-Fi. Not necessarily bad, but the machine has a Thunderbolt dock with a (previously working) GbE wired connection. It wasn’t working. Nor were other peripherals plugged into the dock.
So I unplugged the dock, then plugged it back in after a half-minute wait. Presto! Everything was working as normal once again, including my wired RDP connection. I can only presume that the driver issue reported in the first failed upgrade attempt was Thunderbolt related. I’m also starting to wonder if my dock isn’t having power or connectivity issues, because this is not the first time this has happened — the dock going bye-bye — recently.
Promised Dev Channel Instability Is Manifesting, Too…
When the Insider releases for Dev and Beta Channels forked earlier this month, MS warned of potential or increased instability in the Dev Channel. I’m not complaining, but I am seeing same now on Build 25120.
8GadgetPack is definitely hosed on the X12 (but works perfectly on the X380 Yoga — go figure!). I’m making my bug reports and trying various fixes. As I’ve said before, I’m getting a feeling that this venerable software’s days on Windows 11 may be numbered. I’ll keep you posted about that.
Otherwise, I’m just feeling my way into the latest OS release. I’m hopeful that such kinks as I discover will be worked out. But yea or nay, I’ll let you know. Stay tuned!
Note Added 15 minutes later: Another reinstall of 8GadgetPack, and another manual repair does the trick on my X12 PC. GadgetPack appears to be working again. Having now had trouble on one of each of my two Dev Channels PCs after the past two upgrades I’m wondering if this will become a recurring theme in post-upgrade processing. More to come on this subject, I’m sure!